Dr. Tony Neff
Professor Emeritus, Anatomy and Cell Biology
I am currently interested in organ and tissue regeneration in amphibians with emphasis on limb regeneration. I am particularly interested in the process of reprogramming (dedifferentiation) during limb regeneration and the role of the immune system in modulating the regeneration process.
- Mescher AL, Neff AW, King MW. (2013) Changes in the inflammatory response to injury and its resolution during the loss of regenerative capacity in developing Xenopus limbs. PLoS One. 8(11):e80477.
- King, M. W., A. W. Neff, and A. L. Mescher (2012) The developing Xenopus limb as a model for studies on the balance between inflammation and regeneration. (Anatomical Record, in press).
- King, M.W., A.W. Neff, and A.L. Mescher (2009) Proteomics analysis of regenerating amphibian limbs: Changes during the onset of regeneration. Internat. J. Devel. Biol. 53: 955-969.
- Werner SR, Mescher AL, Neff AW, King MW, Chaturvedi S, Duffin KL, Harty MW, Smith RC. (2007) Neural MMP-28 expression precedes myelination during development and peripheral nerve repair. Dev Dyn. Sep 6; [Epub ahead of print]
- Mescher AL,Wolf WL, Moseman EA, Hartman B, Harrison C, Nguyen E, and Neff AW (2007) Cells of cutaneous im.munity in Xenopus: Studies during larval development. Developmental and Comparative Immunology 31:383-393.
- Grow MW, Neff AW, Mescher AL, King MW. (2006) Global analysis of gene expression in Xenopus limbs during stage-dependent complete and incomplete regeneration. Dev. Dyn. 235:2667-2685.
- Neff AW, King MW, Harty MW, Nguyen T, Calley J, Smith RC, Mescher AL. (2005) Expression of Xenopus XlSALL4 during limb development and regeneration. Dev Dyn. 233(2):356-367
- Mescher AL, Neff AW (2005). Regenerative capacity and the developing immune system. Adv. Biochemical Engineering/ Biotechnology 93:39-66.
- Neff AW, King MW, Harty MW, Nguyen T, Calley J, Smith RC, Mescher AL. (2005) Expression of Xenopus XlSALL4 during limb development and regeneration. Dev Dyn. 233(2):356-367.
- Mescher AL, Neff AW (2005). Regenerative capacity and the developing immune system. Adv. Biochemical Engineering/ Biotechnology 93: 39-66.
- Mescher AL, Neff AW (2004). Loss of regenerative capacity: A trade-off for immune specificity? Cellscience (on-line Cellscience.com/reviews2)
- Goh E, Neff AW (2003). Effects of Fluoride on Xenopus embryo development; Food Chem Toxicol 41:1501-1508
- Harty, M., A.W. Neff, M.W. King, and A.L. Mescher (2003) Regeneration or scarring: An immunologic perspective. Devel. Dynamics 226: 268-279.
- King, M.W., T. Nguyen, J. Calley, M.W. Harty, M.C. Muzinich, A.L. Mescher, C. Chalfant, M. N’Cho, K. McLeaster, J. McEntire, D. Stocum, R.C. Smith, and A.W. Neff. (2003) Identification of genes expressed during Xenopus laevis limb regeneration by using subtractive hybridization. Devel. Dynamics 226: 398-409.
- Martin G, Goh E, Neff AW. (2002) Evaluation of the developmental toxicity of crocetin on Xenopus. Food and Chemical Toxicology; 40:959-964.
- Krishnan P, King MW, Neff AW, Sandusky GE, Bierman KL, Grinnell B and Smith RC (2001) Human truncated Smad 6 (Smad 6s) inhibits the BMP pathway in Xenopus laevis. Dev Growth Differ 43:115-132.